Tuesday, November 24, 2009

REGRIPPING GOLF CLUBS - EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT

It's official.  I have re-gripped my first golf club.  Actually, three of them so far.

The grips on my Florida set of clubs had grown stiff and hard.  If at home, I would have turned to a friend who re-grips golf clubs.  But he's in Rotterdam, NY and I am in Florida.  Well, I could probably find someone down here at Clerbrook Resort who does club re-gripping, but why should I?  If one old retired codger can do it, surely I can.

I went online and settled on Golf Works.  When I called I asked them if a hillbilly from the Ozarks could learn to re-grip golf clubs.  They hesitated a moment and then said yes, sure.  Okay, I said, how about a left-handed hillbilly.  They hesitated a bit longer but finally said they were sure I could do it.  All right, I said, feeling more confident, how about a left-handed hillbilly who moved to upstate New York?  I guess they figured that showed a level of intelligence somewhat below what they usually considered as necessary for the job.  However, after some deliberation (and, I believe, some snickering in the background) and since they obviously wanted to make a sale they reluctantly agreed I could do it.

I placed my order and waited anxiously for the grips to arrive, which they eventually did.  I already had a vise and a utility knife so all I needed was some grips, some double-sided tape and some solvent.  Just to be on the safe side (figuring I would screw up at least one, probably the first one) I ordered extra grips.

The Internet is a wonderful place for getting information and I found plenty on how to re-grip golf clubs.  Before I grad-yoo-ated from the eighth grade, I learned to do some simple research and I put them smarts to work.  I reviewed a half-dozen articles (some with pictures, which I greatly appreciated) on how to re-grip golf clubs.  It seemed simple enough -- even for a doofus.

I started with my 3-iron, since that's the club I use the least.  If I totally screwed it up, it would be no big loss.





I was a little fearful on the first one but gained confidence when I saw how easily it went.  Reading the several articles helped because each gave a little different point of view with a little different advice.  I just put all the advice together and went at it.  I finished the first club and quickly completed two more before deciding to rest.  (Didn't want to over-tax my brain.)  It's so simple, I decided, that even a caveman can do it.  I'll finish the rest tomorrow.

No comments: