Friday, November 12, 2010

EXERCISE and the PRIVILEGE OF GROWING OLDER

I just finished my morning exercises and this seemed a good time to write about those exercises. The significance of finishing my exercises this morning is that this was the third time the week. I normally exercise for an hour on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. This was, however, the first time in a long while that I have been able to complete three mornings of exercise in one week. I was so tired after the first day or two that I would have to skip the remaining exercise day in any given week.

I knew I had to keep trying; I had to keep working to build up my endurance or I would otherwise gradually get to the point where I could not even do one morning exercise regimen. That was not an option for me.

I was a skinny, 90-pound weakling growing up as a child. I did not start exercising regularly until the early 1960s when President Kennedy promoted regular exercise through creation of the President’s Council on Fitness. I’ve been exercising more or less regularly ever since.

I led an exercise group several years ago at a campground where Joyce and I were spending the winter. The exercise program I developed was intended for seniors (most winter snowbirds are over 55) and was designed with the goal of maintaining flexibility and strength. Arthritis, bone loss, football or other sports injuries all combine to diminish our ability to do some things. The choice is simple: join the rocking chair group, gain weight, and die earlier than need be because we allow our muscles and joints to deteriorate.

As I said, I was not willing to go down that road. Hence, I stayed with my exercises and today I finished my third day without feeling as if I would die. I don’t believe in pushing myself to the point that I am exhausted – although my wife reminds me that I tend to overdue – but I do believe in the theory that if I can take three steps today, I should strive to take four steps tomorrow.

My strength and resolve to exercise weakened over the years. I had made several trips to the hospital for coronary stents (13 in all) and had a serious lung infection this past summer. I was out of shape and gradually had to rebuild my willingness and ability to complete my exercise program.

And I did it! Of course, I’ll probably need a nap this afternoon.

Exercise is one of the more or less free things we can do to prolong life and enjoy a better quality of life. I subscribe to the statement made by movie actress Laura Linney: “We should embrace the privilege of growing older.” Having lost five cohorts this past year, I appreciate that growing older is a privilege. Just growing older is not such a big deal if you cannot enjoy that life. That’s where the exercises come in. Strength and range-of-motion exercises enable me to continue doing what I like to do.

I prefer to exercise at home. First, I can design my own program, one that does not involve expensive equipment. Second, I do not need to allow travel time to and from a gym, especially in inclement weather. Third, I do not have to pay a gym membership fee. Fourth, I can watch television or listen to music of my choosing. Fifth, if want to or need to cut my program short some morning, I can do so without feeling guilty.

My approach does require a measure of self-discipline. When you pay for a gym membership and/or have scheduled time to be there, you are more likely to go. I have to be my own coach (Stop and get your breath), my own drill sergeant (Give me three more, maggot), my own cheerleader and my own evaluator of results.

I use a variety of exercises I have put together to deal with my unique circumstances. When you go to a gym, someone there will help develop a program suitable for you. I avoided arthroscopic knee surgery a few years ago after the surgeon suggested I first work to build up the muscles that control the knee joint and hold things in place. Without these exercises the surgery, he said, would be of little value because the problem would return. Those exercises led to stronger quadriceps, among other things, and eliminated the need for surgery. Those exercises are part of my thrice-weekly program.

I had a similar experience with my left shoulder. I could raise my left arm over my head only with help. I again faced arthroscopic surgery, at best, and, depending on what the surgeon found when he got in there, possibly more extensive reconstructive surgery. A year’s recovery time was the prediction. My cardiologist would not sign off on the surgery, as it would require taking me off one of my coronary medications. The orthopedic surgeon once again prescribed physical therapy. It worked and I now have complete range of motion in my shoulder. Those physical therapy exercises are also part of my weekly program.

I had some favorite exercises from the program I did years ago, but as my wife regularly reminds me, that was before the coronary stents plus, I was younger. Therefore, I stated looking around for some low-impact exercises that were appropriate for seniors.

I found what I was looking for at the "Real Age: Live Life to the Youngest" web page created by Drs. Oz and Roizen. The program I found that fit my needs best was the YOU2 Workout at the following website: http://www.realage.com/the-you-docs/you-staying-young/working-out-at-home-without-equipment. Highlight this and paste it into your web browser to see the complete 18-move program.

Here is what they say in the first paragraph:

“The best gym in the world? You're living in it. By using your own body weight to complete a strength-and-stretch workout, you'll have the ability to transform your body -- no excuses. This 18-move workout from the YOU Docs and celebrity trainer Joel Harper is one that you can do in fewer than 20 minutes -- and there's no need for equipment. It will strengthen your muscles (to make you stronger, leaner, and more equipped to handle the rigors of aging) and stretch them (to make you more flexible and dynamic, for the same reason).”

I do not do all 18 moves because I have substituted some of my own that deal with specific areas (e.g., shoulders and knees) that I want to work on. Use your head. If something hurts, stop. If you cannot at first do all the reps recommended, do what you can and try for one more the next time. Check with your doctor if you are in doubt about any of these exercises. Finally, combine these exercises with a sensible walking program and you may be surprised how you feel in a month or two.

Three days a week. That’s all it takes. Get up, get going and join me.

No comments: