Monday, January 3, 2011

THE ACCIDENT


It had to happen eventually, and it finally did.

Wood carvers usually end up with a few nicks and cuts on their fingers, even those who are careful. I counted myself among those who are careful. I avoided putting my fingers in harm’s way whenever possible. When not possible, I was very alert with my carving tools, especially my knives.

I am currently whittling roosters, following the style of Chris Lubkemann, who wrote the book.

 
Chris tells us that your carving blades need to be sharp, very sharp. You are working in fine detail and a slip – caused by too much pressure – can ruin a piece. He writes, “Use whatever helps you get a really sharp bade. My own simple, but effective system consists of several strips of wet-or-dry sandpaper or emery cloth glued or held to a thin strip of wood.” He goes on to explain that the three grits he uses are #120, #400 and #600, and he has used some strips “for at least five years” so that they would more likely “now be classified as #5000!”

I tried to follow his advice. My knives are very sharp.

I usually wear gloves. I always wear one on my left hand, as I am left-handed. My left thumb takes a beating as I draw the knife to it in the process of shaving off a sliver of wood. I had on my left glove this time. Since I was working on a small twig and needed to “feel” it in my hand so I could control it, I had removed my right glove. That set the stage for THE ACCIDENT.

Smaller twigs tend to have a pity center and this one was no exception. As I started a delicate trim on the top of what would be the chicken’s head, my knife hit that soft pity center, slipped through it like a hot knife through butter, and continued on its journey until stopped by the nail on my right index finger. That was just after it made a generous slice of the flesh on my finger.

I immediately dropped my knife and grabbed the finger with my dirty, gloved left hand. I knew there would be blood – I take several blood-thinner medications – and I knew I needed to apply pressure to the wound quickly. And head for the bathroom just as quickly.

Conventional wisdom, taught in every Boy Scout manual, says that a dull knife is dangerous since you must apply more pressure to make a cut and this creates the chance for the knife to slip and cut you. That is true. However, a keenly sharp knife can also be dangerous when it meets little or no resistance and takes off on a journey that ends with your finger.

Be forewarned.

Your Friend: Stubby.

No comments: