Saturday, September 5, 2009

THE URGE TO KILL ... MY COMPUTER

If you are reading this you surely have a computer.  And if you have a computer you have surely had the urge, more than once, I imagine, to take a shotgun and blow the damned thing to hell and back.  No, that would be easy.  You want it to suffer some -- as you have.

A quick death is too good for it.  It must experience throes of agony, wondering what it has done and how to correct it.  After all, that is exactly what you have been going through, isn't it?

My computer decided this morning that I did not have a blog account.  I could use the URL to go to the blog, I just could not edit it.  I was denied access because I was not the author.  When I tried to go to the Dashboard, my computer again reminded me that I did not have a blog account.  It did, graciously, offer to help me set up one, however. 

That's when thoughts of shotguns began to enter my head.

OK, something has become corrupted.  Don't take it personally and above all, don't take it out on the poor dumb computer.

I decided to just do a system restore to earlier this week when everything was working fine.  That should do the trick.

Wrong!

Next, I decided to run a system check/registry check program I have to see if it uncovered anything.  Well, apparently it found a lot of junk that needed attention.  But I still could not get into the administrator side of my blog account.  I WAS NOT THE AUTHOR OF AN ACCOUNT!

Time to go for a walk, kick the cat (I don't have one) or yell at my wife (always dangerous).  I went for a walk.

After a cool-down walk I decided to try Plan B before getting the shotgun.  Get out of every program that is running and turn the computer off.

Guess what?  After turning the computer back on it allowed me direct entry to the Dashboard program.  I can be an author once again.  Hence this article.

I'll put the shotgun away ... for now.

No comments: